Friday, July 30, 2010

Dry Creek Love Affair: Passalacqua



I pull up, and can’t stop taking pictures.  My new iphone is literally heaping with scenic shots.  I walked inside and met Tony.  After sharing some of the 5,000 case winery’s history and philosophy, he started me off with the Sauvignon Blanc, which was one of my candidates to take home as soon as it hit lip.  I also tried the 2008 Chardonnay, and the ’07 Dry Creek Zin.  Again, I was Zin smitten.  Taking this bottled beauty home.
I was really impressed, inspired as well, with the history behind this delightful Dry Creek winery.  Heavy emphasis on family and tradition.  The tasting room is graced with old photos, which is complemented by a homey feel, making it even harder to leave.
Once done with my tasting with Tony, I went outside, loaded up on more pictures.  Again reminded why I’m in an artistic tryst with this region.  Intense shades, unparalleled terrain, and fantastic libation.  I remember wishing I had time to have a glass of that SB, or Chard, out on their pristine patio, in this forceful summer.  Maybe next time.  And there will be a next time.  Lots of them.
As I finish my edit of this blurb, I sip the Zin, dazzled by the swarm of engaging notes.  Dark berry/cherry, spice, tobacco, subtle caramel and herb.  Going to have to go back for another bottle.  A case?
At the home office, sipping my ’07 Zin, taking a look at the simple, enjoyable and informative piece of literature Tony sent home with me.  I notice they offer an ’06 Dry Creek Cab, an ’07 Primitivo, and a Sangiovese (also ’07).  Should have tasted those, but I was trying to be good.  Their website boasts “a commitment to quality.” As these sips speedily succeed in their sequence, I appreciate the fervor entailed in their commitment.  Appreciate it?  I’m sipping it, experiencing it, connecting with it. 
Visit the Passalacqua website, http://www.passalacquawinery.com
There were actually quite a few more photographs, but I selected my favorites for this entry.  Enjoy!  






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great write up, Mike! Glad you enjoyed our wines and your visit to Passalacqua and we look forward to seeing you again. Cheers, Sue

    ReplyDelete