Thursday, October 14, 2010

Review of Wooden Valley Winery & Vineyards


Up the street from Solano Community College, you encounter a find.  My new go-to, Wooden Valley Winery & Vineyards.  A necessity in wine world exploration.  I walked into the tasting Room, and was stunned by the allure of the decor and pervading ambience.  Rustic wood, low lighting.  Spacious and serene.  I approach the bar, and am greeted by Matt.  He tells me all about the history of the winery, the Lanza family.  I looked around the Room, and appreciated, literally, each increment of the floor, illustration.  Couldn’t wait to taste some of the residents on the list in front of me.  Before beginning, Matt and I talked a bit more about this unique Suisun Valley AVA.  Wine education, reliable and credible vino ed, loving it.
Matt ignited the tasting session with an ’09 Sauvignon Blanc (award-winning, mind you).  This SB was one of the most focused, coherent, and flavorful, graceful that I’ve ever met.  Almost asked for a “revisit,” but withheld.  Next, an ’08 Zin, followed by a mighty ’07 Merlot (no Cab infused).  This Merlot had a tannic tenacity that would make some Napa Cab producers jealous.  Nothing obnoxious, pure and formidable sophistication.  Next, an ’07 Cab, which completely put this penman in silence, before concluding with a clean and covertly sweet 2009 Riesling.  Matt told me that he preferred the 2006 Estate Cab over the ’07, but didn’t have it open.  I bought one, as per his expertise and endorsement.
Hospitality, incredible.  Couldn’t ask for a better host in a tasting Room.  The wines, walked away with a life-changing SB (which I sip now, while composing this prose), a majestically momentous Merlot, and the highly heralded 2006 Estate Cab.  I was going to just cruise home after my lecture.  Glad I didn’t.   Pay Wooden Valley Winery & Vineyards a visit next time you’re in this all-too-underrated AVA.  Sitting here with one of the better balanced Sauvignon Blancs I’ve had in my day, I’m already thinking about my next visit, my next purchase.  May be walking off with a couple cases.  Uh oh.  Either way, sip, sip...  

No comments:

Post a Comment